Schengen Countries are countries that have signed an agreement, currently between 26 European States, to remove immigration controls to travel within their collective territories. This means entry into one Schengen Member State gives free access to all the other Schengen states.
If the visit includes more than one destination, the visa has to be applied to the Embassy/Consulate of the country that is the main destination of the journey (length of stay or the purpose). If no main destination is determined, the visa application should be submitted to the Schengen country of first entry.
2012 Massachusetts Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20036
- COVID-19 REGULATIONS (Subject to change). Travelers entering or transiting through Portugal must have a negative Covid-10 PCR test result. The test must have been taken at most 72 hours before departure of the last direct flight to Portugal. A completed electronic “Passenger Locator Card (PLCe)” must be presented upon boarding.
- CONSULAR JURISDICTION. The Embassy of Portugal has consular jurisdiction. It can only process visa applications from the residents of Maryland, Virginia, Washington DC, and some other states.
- APPLY IN PERSON. Applicants are required to obtain an appointment and appear in person. Apply via embassy’s outsource company at VFS Global
- Passport must have six (6) months validity beyond the completion of a trip and at least two (2) blank visa pages.
- NO VISA REQUIRED for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Mexico, Mauritius, Netherlands, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Trinidad & Tobago, UK, USA, and some other countries for a maximum stay of 90 days.
- For more information and questions contact the GC Visa office.
|Visa Application Requirements||NON-US|
|Completed and signed application form|
The application must be typewritten. Not handwritten.
|Passport size photos - one (1) photo|
White background and should be free of shadows, in color and clear, without glasses. Applicants must directly face camera w/ a neutral expression and clearly visible eyes.
|Copy of passport vital information page from any previous passport||✔|
|Copy of previous visa|
Passport visa page with previous visa stamp.
Letter should be addressed to the Consulate General of the Embassy or Immigration officer of the country. Must include: applicant's name as in passport, passport number, detailing the reason for traveling, dates, name, address and telephone number of the host.
|Letter of employment||✔|
|Bank statements (last three (3) months)||✔|
|Copy of flight itinerary|
A round trip travel airline ticket with traveler's name.
|Copy of hotel reservation/Evidence of address while staying in the country.||✔|
|Notarized proof of legal residency in the US||✔|
|Travel health insurance||✔|
Forms and Links
Document Checklist Application form
|Processing time||Service type|
|2 to 4 weeks||Regular|
Fee per Visa
Payment Method: Credit Card, Money Order,
|Type of Visa||Fee per Visa||Type of entry||Term of visa|
|Business/Tourist/Transit||67.00||Up to 90 days|
- Allow (2) two extra days for GC Visa Office to process your application.
- For Long Term/Work Visa and Children under 18, Contact GC Visa Office.
- Please note that Embassies/Country Representative Offices change the requirements on a regular basis without notifying us.
- There is a GC surcharge for our services.
Last updated: May 16, 2022