Schengen Countries are countries that have signed an agreement, currently between 26 European States, to remove immigration controls to travel within their collective territories. This means entry into one Schengen Member State gives free access to all the other Schengen states.
If the visit includes more than one destination, the visa has to be applied to the Embassy/Consulate of the country that is the main destination of the journey (length of stay or the purpose). If no main destination is determined, the visa application should be submitted to the Schengen country of first entry.
2900 Cathedral Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20008
Consular hours: by appointment.
- COVID-19 REGULATIONS (Subject to change). Every traveler entering Switzerland from the United States must present completed Electronic Entry Form. It is important to fill out the electronic entry form on a computer or smartphone at the earliest 48 hours before the travel in order to receive a QR code by email. This code needs to be kept at hand for inspection upon arrival in Switzerland. The controlling authority can impose a find if the entry form is not completed or if the information provided is false.
- CONSULAR JURISDICTION. The Embassy of Switzerland in Washington DC can only process applications from the following states: District of Columbia, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Nebraska, Virginia, West Virginia, Northern Mariana islands, and Guam.
- APPLY IN PERSON. Applicant is required to appear in person at the consulate. Must register and print the online application and appointment on this link
- Passport must have at least six (6) months validity beyond the completion of a trip and two (2) blank visa pages.
- NO VISA REQUIRED for nationals of Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Finland, France, Germany, Japan, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, Norway, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Singapore, Spain, Trinidad & Tobago, UK/British Overseas Citizens, USA, and some other countries for a maximum stay of 90 days.
- For more information and questions contact the GC Visa office.
|Visa Application Requirements||NON-US|
|Completed and signed application form|
The application must be typewritten. Not handwritten.
|Passport size photos - two (2) photos|
White background and should be free of shadows, photo is clear and in color, glasses not allowed. Applicant is directly facing camera w/ a neutral expression, eyes are clearly visible.
|Copy of valid passport's vital information page||✔|
|Copy of previous Schengen visas issued within the past 5 years.||✔|
|Letter of employment||✔|
|Bank statements (last three (3) months)||✔|
|Copy of flight itinerary|
A round trip travel airline ticket with traveler's name.
|Copy of hotel reservation/Evidence of address while staying in the country.||✔|
|Letter of support (Business visa only)|
The GC Visa office will provide
|Proof of legal residency in the US (original & copy)||✔|
|*Travel health insurance|
Travel insurance includes coverage on Covid-19 medical expenses with minimum of $35,000
*Letter of invitation: The host company should send the letter (by e-mail or fax) directly to the authorized Swiss representation. The letter must include the applicant’s name as per passport and the family name should be typewritten in capital letters.
*Travel health insurance: A letter from the insurance company and a copy of the insurance card confirming international coverage of at least USD 40,000 for each of the following items: emergency medical expenses, emergency hospital treatment, repatriation for medical reasons, and mortal remains.
Note: A minimum of $100 ($30 for students) per day is required to cover expenses.
Forms and Links
|Processing time||Service type|
|10 to 15 business days||Regular|
Fee per Visa
Payment Method: Credit Card,
|Type of Visa||Fee per Visa||Type of entry||Term of visa|
|Business/Tourist||72.00||Up to 90 days|
|Business/Tourist Children 6-11 years old||42.00||Up to 90 days|
- Allow (2) two extra days for GC Visa Office to process your application.
- For Long Term/Work Visa and Children under 18, Contact GC Visa Office.
- Please note that Embassies/Country Representative Offices change the requirements on a regular basis without notifying us.
- There is a GC surcharge for our services.
Last updated: May 16, 2022